Published on March 13th, 2017 | by GrowWNYAdmin0
Job Posting: Communications & Development Associate
The Western New York Land Conservancy is an accredited, regional land trust that permanently protects land with significant conservation values in Western New York for the benefit of future generations. We envision a future in which magnificent meadows, forests, farmlands, wildlife habitat, and scenic beauty are cherished and protected as part of the landscape and character of Western New York.
The Communications & Development Associate will provide critical support for the Land Conservancy’s communications and fundraising initiatives. They will also be part of the team that works to achieve the Land Conservancy’s five-year strategic plan including:
- expanding the Niagara River Greenway, an Olmsted-inspired ribbon of connected parks and nature preserves stretching between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, and encompassing one of Earth’s most recognizable natural wonders, Niagara Falls;
- identifying and protecting land in the most critical watersheds of the Niagara River, the drainage of 84% of North America’s surface freshwater;
- ensuring that our work enhances the biodiversity and climate resiliency in our region;
- and expanding partnerships with our region’s Haudenosaunee indigenous communities.
Our conservation work also reflects a new emphasis on urban projects – including a project to create a Buffalo version of the NYC High Line.
The Communications & Development Associate will report directly to the Deputy Executive Director and is a full-time position.
Marketing & Communications support:
- Assist with mailings, landowner outreach, membership renewals, and appeals
- Assist with press releases and print pieces e.g. newsletters, case statements, gala program, and posters
- Coordinate back office activities for mailings
- Assist with social media, eNewsletter, and website updates/maintenance
- Strong role in the planning and implementation of the annual gala
- Event planning to include making arrangements for meetings
Organizational meetings and activities:
- Attend and take minutes at Committee and Board meetings
- Participate in regular staff and planning meetings
- Assist with other Land Conservancy activities including nature hikes, photography, and community presentations
- Help the Land Conservancy prepare for re-accreditation
- General office assistance such as answering phone calls, conducting research, facilities support, filing and record keeping
- Photo database management
- eTapestry member database updates/entries
- Simple GIS mapmaking
- A deep passion for conservation and the Land Conservancy’s mission
- Ability to manage multiple, simultaneous projects and coordinate with numerous partners
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office is required
- Superb written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, diplomacy, patience, and a sense of humor
- Experience with social media and website updates
- A strong work ethic and willingness to work flexible hours
- Ability to work independently with a high level of accountability and attention to detail
- Ability to inspire and work with staff, Board of Directors, community partners, members, and volunteers
- Experience coordinating volunteers
- A Bachelor’s degree is required
- A clear understanding of the importance of confidentiality
- A willingness to use a personal vehicle for work-related travel
- GIS skills preferred
Please email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to email@example.com with “Communications & Development Associate” in the subject line. Applications are only accepted electronically. No phone calls please. The position is available 2/6/17 and is open until filled. The Western New York Land Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer.
For additional information about the Western New York Land Conservancy please visit our website – www.wnylc.org.