Published on November 5th, 2018 | by GrowWNYAdmin0
Job Posting: New Economy Director
Title: Director of New Economy
Reports to: Deputy Director of Administration
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Who We Are:
PUSH Buffalo is a member led community-based organization located on the West Side of Buffalo, NY. PUSH’s mission is to mobilize residents to create strong neighborhoods with quality, affordable housing, expand local hiring opportunities and to advance economic justice in Buffalo. Central to this mission is a theory of change grounded in issue-based organizing, leadership development, community control of resources, and democratically planned neighborhood development.
About the Position:
The Director of New Economy leads the organization’s efforts to establish and grow community- controlled enterprises that center ecological restoration, community resilience, and social equity.
This position includes managing the continued development of two existing social enterprises and exploring options for these enterprises to transition to cooperative ownership. The Director of Cooperative Development also manages the development of new cooperatives and social enterprises that emerge from within the organization’s membership and strategic goals, and will explore the establishment of a non-extractive loan fund for these enterprises to share and draw from. This position also includes participation in PUSH Buffalo’s senior management team, policy development and implementation, supervision of staff, administration, and organizational development.
Currently, PUSH Buffalo operates two social enterprises: The Hiring Hall and PUSH Blue Eco- Landscaping. The Hiring Hall places un- and under-employed individuals into construction jobs with local contractors, with a focus on green construction. PUSH Blue Eco-Landscaping provides sustainable landscaping services throughout the City of Buffalo with a focus on using best practices from stormwater management, green infrastructure, and sustainable landscaping to address water quality and overall environmental health in the City of Buffalo and surrounding area.
- Social Enterprise Development
- Serve as primary business developer for the Hiring Hall and PUSH Blue Eco-Landscaping businesses.
- In collaboration with program staff, develop and implement marketing strategies for the Hiring Hall and PUSH Blue Eco-Landscaping businesses.
- In collaboration with program staff, plan, develop, implement, and evaluate workforce development programs for individuals seeking employment, education and training services within the green construction and eco-landscaping fields.
- Investigate and develop a long-term business model for existing enterprises with the goal of self-sustainability including but not limited to cooperative ownership.
- Cooperative Development
- Serve as primary business developer for cooperative business projects, with an emphasis on conversion of existing businesses in the community to cooperative ownership.
- Train projects, as necessary, in basic financial/business literacy, governance, management, communication, and conflict resolution and/or manage staff to provide this training.
- Connect projects to appropriate technical assistance providers as needed.
- Build relationships with, learn from, and collaborate with regional and national leaders in cooperative business development.
- Non-extractive Loan Fund
- Explore the establishment of a non-extractive loan fund, independent loan committee, and loan application process for projects to access.
- In collaboration with Organizing and Education departments, develop political education materials and provide content for public workshops and outreach events with the goals of finding fundable projects and reaching under-served communities.
- Manage budget and staff for implementation of this fund, intake of prospective fundable projects, the provision of pre- and post-loan technical assistance, and the successful repayment of loan funds.
- Ecosystem Development
- Organize key partners into an ecosystem that supports scaling and growth of cooperative enterprise in Buffalo.
- Connect existing leaders in the Buffalo cooperative movement to develop shared language and goals and build a collective agenda.
- Serve as a resource for cooperative education in the community.
- Management and Organizational Development
- Establish goals and strategic plans for department in coordination with program staff and senior management team. Develop and manage appropriate evaluation and reporting processes to determine program success and effectiveness.
- Maintain and build relationships with business and industry, governmental agencies, community organizations, and workforce development partners to ensure quality and relevance of programs.
- Manage the program budget including developing budget proposals, justifying expenses, and monitoring expenditures.
- Identify funding and grant opportunities and participate in grant writing and other efforts to raise capital and support for department activities.
- Supervise a team experienced in workforce development and training, construction, and eco-landscaping.
- Ensure that workforce efforts are in compliance with local, state, and federal labor regulations, contracts, and grant funding commitments.
- Represent PUSH Buffalo to funders, policy makers, and partners on workforce development, social enterprise, and cooperative development issues.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
A self-starter, highly organized, and entrepreneurial individual with strong cooperative and social enterprise business development skills, analytical, project-, and time- management skills and communication skills, a high degree of professionalism, and a flexible, collaborative spirit. The ideal candidate is highly motivated by mission to expand local hiring opportunities and to advance economic justice in Buffalo.
- Knowledge of and experience in cooperative development and social enterprise business development. Experience in alternative staffing, workforce development, and/or eco-landscaping sectors are highly desirable.
- Strong business acumen; orientation toward achievement of goals, and a track record of successful project management.
- Exceptional people skills with the ability to build and grow customer relationships.
- Outstanding speaking, writing, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Team-orientation, with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Staff supervision experience.
- Experience writing and managing grants.
- Entrepreneurial style, with an enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced, dynamic organization.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, juggle multiple tasks simultaneously, and flexibly to meet team needs.
- Detail-oriented, commitment to high standards of performance.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree (e.g. Master of Business Administration) preferred.
- 5+ years related work experience.
Join our team and build your career with us! We offer:
- Supportive, stimulating, and collaborative environment with passionate colleagues dedicated to building community, equity, and justice
- Competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision, and paid time off
How to apply: Proposals should include a letter of application, resume, and contact information for two professional references. Proposals will only be accepted by email, and should be sent to:
Rahwa Ghirmatzion, Executive Director: Rahwa@pushbuffalo.org
PUSH Buffalo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and inclusion as these principles are central to our mission.