Published on October 10th, 2017 | by GrowWNYAdmin0
Job Posting: Organizer for Grassroots Development
Clean Air is Hiring an Organizer for Grassroots Development!
Background: The Clean Air Coalition builds power by developing grassroots leaders who organize their communities to run and win environmental justice and public health campaigns in Western New York.
Description: In light of the recent election and the current political climate, the need to invest in community organizing is more urgent than ever. Without the involvement of the communities most affected by injustice, policies and practices are often ineffective. The Organizer for Grassroots Development is responsible for working with Clean Air’s base and constituency to expand our grassroots fundraising program, build and sustaining relationships with members, leading teams dedicated to resourcing organizing campaigns, and maintaining day-to-day operations of the office.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Build and maintain fundraising team(s) accountable to the ongoing strategy of the campaign teams.
- Coordinate and facilitate member meetings, trainings and strategy sessions regarding fundraising strategy, fundraising events and one on one asks.
- Conduct one on one meetings with members and individual donors.
- Coordinate and provide coaching to members and staff regarding fundraising strategy, fundraising events and one on one asks.
- Responsible for the development, management and execution of special events.
- Work with the Executive Director,staff, board and membership to coordinate fundraising campaigns, including written appeals, online appeals and annual fundraising drives.
- Work with Executive Director and staff to manage donor communications and grow the monthly sustainer program.
- Work with the Executive Director/ Director of Leadership Development on integrating a race and class analysis into membership team(s) to further advance Clean Air’s mission.
Education, Experience & Skills
- Has a sense of humor and likes talking to people!
- Demonstrates the ability to work across lines of difference, with a nuanced understanding of systemic oppressions (race/ class/ gender/ ability).
- Ability to manage teams and lead volunteers.
- Experience making fundraising asks is critical.
- Must work well collaboratively as part of a team, yet be highly independent and able to take initiative.
- Solid storytelling ability, understanding of narrative trajectory, authenticity and calls to action.
- Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends as needed.
- 1-2 years of administrative experience preferred. 1-2 years of organizing or leadership development experience a plus but not required.
- Bi-lingual candidates, especially Spanish speaking, are encouraged to apply!
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite necessary. Quickbooks and database experience preferred but not required.
Our Hiring Process and Timeline
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until October 27th.
- We will begin scheduling interviews late October, early November.
- If you are invited for an in-person interview, we will ask for a worksample relevant to this position (a process you created, a writing sample, or other relevant materials), and the contact information for 3 references (1 supervisory reference and two peers).
- We would like to have the selected candidate start in mid-December.
Compensation and Benefits
- This is a part-time, exempt position, working 20 hours per week starting at $17 an hour.
- We provide full medical and dental insurance.
- We provide paid time off, opportunities for professional development, and a fairly flexible schedule.
- This job offers an opportunity to be on the cutting edge of equity and community engagement work. You will be challenged often, pushed to the limit, learn a bunch, have a lot of fun, be frustrated on occasion and inspired frequently, and make a difference in people’s lives.
- Clean Air is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages People of Color, women, femme- identifying, those with working-class backgrounds, LGBTQIA individuals and those with disabilities to apply.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Describe in your cover letter why you are interested in working with us and how your experience matches with our needs. If you would like to speak with someone regarding this position, please call Rebecca at 716-852-3813. You can view the job posting on the Clean Air Coalition website here.