TransportationTransportation is at the heart of Western New York history, beginning with the completion of the Erie Canal in 1825, which led to one of the region’s first population surges. Connecting the Great Lakes to New York City, Buffalo became a critical link between growing industry and international trade along the East Coast and the Mid-West’s agricultural center. Then came the first railway system in Western New York, constructed in 1833 and running between Buffalo and Black Rock. In 1852, three railroads combined to provide a complete rail system linking Buffalo and New York City. Ultimately, the rail system was replaced by cars as the dominant form of transportation following the wide spread construction of roadways and interstate highways, leading to our modern day obsession with the automobile. The Transportation Working Group works to address this obsession and create the next phase in the transportation evolution: transportation systems that consider every mode of travel and make it safe for pedestrians and automobiles alike. To do this, the group reviews ongoing initiatives to ensure that all roadway users are accommodated and green infrastructure measures are utilized, and works to educate the community about complete streets and green infrastructure. Don’t spin your wheels. Get involved!
- Come to an upcoming meeting to discuss this group’s role in the WNYEA Action Agenda
- Sign up for the listserv to join in the discussion and get meeting reminders and alerts
- Read the previous meeting recaps and meeting minutes
- Working Group Chair — Justin Booth
- Click here if you would like to contact the Chair of this Working Group
- Check the calendar to confirm date, time and location
REFERENCES & FURTHER READING:
- Grunwald, Michael. Can High Speed Rail Get on Track?, Time Magazine, July 19, 2010
- New York State Department of Transportation: State Rail Plan
- Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority
- Parks & Trails New York
- White House.gov: Recovery Act High Speed Rail Awards
No EventsCheck the calendar to find an upcoming meeting for this group
Related Blog Posts
- Vote for Buffalo in Bicycling Mag’s People’s Choice Advocacy Awards! BY: TIVONA RENONI, GOBIKE BUFFALO We’re thrilled to announce that The Alliance for Biking and Walking, the North American coalition of local & state bicycle and pedestrian advocacy organizations, has nominated GObike Buffalo for the Bicycling Magazine’s People’s Choice Advocacy Award. Phewph, that was a mouthful. People’s Choice means that it’s up to YOU! GObike would not ... Read more...
- Bicyclists Bring Business BY: PARKS AND TRAILS NEW YORK AND NYS CANAL COPORATION According to a recent study conducted by Parks & Trails New York (PTNY), funded in part by the New York State Canal Corporation and the Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor, the Erie Canalway Trail (ECT) experiences more than 1.58 million visits per year. Spending by ECT visitors annually generates ... Read more...
- Transit Options Public Meeting [9.30.14] BY: RACHEL MALONEY For more information, visit to.nfta.com. Read more...