Published on May 3rd, 2018 | by GrowWNYAdmin0
Position Title: Youth and Climate Justice Coordinator (.5 FTE)
Reports to: Executive Director, Climate Justice Campaign Committee
Organization Summary: The WNY Environmental Alliance (the Alliance) is an independent, member-run organization with a mission to mobilize change through collective action and collaboration, in order to ensure sustainable, thriving ecosystems and communities in Western New York. We work to ensure that environment is a key factor in local and regional decision-making.
The Alliance launched the Youth and Climate Justice (YCJ) Initiative in early 2017. This Initiative has allowed the Alliance to bring young people together around climate change, connect them to opportunities for education and leadership development, provide the spaces for them to give voice to their concerns and issues and to create structures that are inclusive of youth in the climate justice movement. Most importantly, this initiative continues to ensure that voices from the frontlines — from people living in communities that disproportionately suffer from environmental injustice– will be heard as we work to raise awareness of human dependency on the earth and its ecosystems.
Position Summary: The Alliance is seeking a Climate Justice Coordinator whose role is to both oversee the YCJ Initiative as well as educate its member organizations on the Initiative, and opportunities and challenges associated with youth leadership, especially for frontline youth.
The Climate Justice Coordinator will:
- Oversee the YCJ Initiative and work directly with youth (ages 14-24), identifying and connecting them to opportunities for education and leadership development
- Educate Alliance member organizations on the opportunities and challenges to including youth leaders in their organizations, especially front line youth
- Connect member organizations with area youth through:
- Trainings for organization staff and youth in climate justice issues and solutions
- Supporting youth taking part in member advocacy / education opportunities
- Aggregate opportunities from member organizations towards climate justice advocacy and education efforts that would involve youth
- Provide communications support for member organizations carrying out climate justice advocacy, education efforts in issues and solutions with youth
- Maintain a database of area organizations and youth leaders involved in the YCJ Initiative and in youth and climate change work more broadly
- Experience leading, mentoring and supervising youth
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with event coordination
- Ability to work with diverse communities
- Knowledge of or interest in environmental and climate issues
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Experience doing community organizing or policy advocacy preferred
This position is year-round, averaging 20 hours/week; salary commensurate with experience.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and resumes by Wednesday, May 31st to: