Joseph Davis State Park
Joseph Davis State Park has facilities for a wide variety of recreational activities. The terrain is generally flat, with fields, woodlands and ponds. Anglers can fish for largemouth bass in the pond near the park entrance or for a variety of freshwater fish from the fishing dock on the lower Niagara River. The park also has a nature trail, as well as cross-country skiing/snowshoeing and snowmobiling trails and an 27-hole frisbee disc golf course.
Note: This park is operated by the Town of Lewiston through a partnership agreement with the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. For information on facility reservations or other operating questions, please call (716) 754-8213.
History of Joseph Davis State Park
The Hopkins family operated a fruite farm on this land until 1961, when the State of New York purchased the 260 acres as parkland. In 1964, the park opened to the public under the name of Lower Niagara State Park. Five years later, an additional 98 acres were purchased from the Riverview Land and Improvement Company. In 1970, the park’s name was changed to honor Joseph Davis, who served as president of the Niagara Frontier State Parks Commission for 21 years. As chairman, director, and member of many organizations, Joseph Davis was influential in shaping the future of the Niagara Frontier.
Governor Thomas E. Dewey named Joseph Davis t the Niagara Frontier State Parks Commission in 1948. At that time, the commission had only a few state parks under its jurisdiction. With the addition of many more parks, the Niagara Frontier Region park system grew into a multi-million dollar parogram under Joseph Davis’ capable leadership. Davis also served on the State Council of Parks and Recreation.