Published on July 29th, 2015 | by GrowWNY Intern0
Massachusetts Avenue Project
Meet the member organizations of the Western New York Environmental Alliance!
Organization Name: Massachusetts Avenue Project (MAP)
Mission: To nurture the growth of a diverse and equitable local food system and promote local economic opportunities, access to affordable, nutritious food and social change education.
Vision: We imagine a community in which all youth and families have access to fresh, healthy and culturally appropriate food, where people of all incomes have economic opportunities to enrich their lives and support their communities, where vacant lots are transformed into productive green spaces, growing food to supply local residents and beautify neighborhoods, where youth and their families are engaged in policy development and planning for the restoration of land and their communities.
- The Junior League of Buffalo Designates MAP’s Community Food Training & Resource Center for $300,000 Decorators’ Show House Award
- Since 2003, MAP has provided jobs and training to over 500 low-income youth and food nutrition based training to over 9,000 residents, school children and policymakers.
- Since 2007, MAP has increased healthy food access to over 4,800 households through sales and donations of over 25,000 lbs of affordable, local, organic produce.
- Since 2008, 95% of MAP’s high school seniors graduated and went on to college. Many of them were the 1st person in their family to go to college.
Leadership: Diane Picard
Established Date: 1992
- Office: 271 Grant St. Buffalo, New York 14213
- Farm: 389 Massachusetts Ave. Buffalo, New York 14213
Website and social media:
- Phone: 716-882-5327
- Fax: 716-882-5338
- Email: Rebekah@mass-ave.org
- Phone: 716.882.5327 ext. 6
Significant Organizational Events/Activities:
- Tour de Farms
- The MAP’s Growing Green Youth Program
- Growing Green Urban Farm
- Mobile Market
Membership Offered (Y/N): No
This membership profile was created by UB Honors Student Shainna Belocura, Fall 2014.