Published on September 10th, 2015 | by GrowWNY Intern0
POWR – Protecting Our Water Rights
Meet the member organizations of the Western New York Environmental Alliance!
Organization Name: POWR – Protecting Our Water Rights
Mission: To protect our natural resources, personal and community rights to health and quality of life.
Description: A grassroots group, predominantly from southern Erie County, working to raise awareness about and protect our communities from the adverse effects of the hydrofracking process.
- In June 2011, after much work by POWR members and the Wales Town Board, Wales adopted a local law banning hydrofracking.
- POWR has also served as a meeting place for Southtowns residents concerned about hydrofracking, where we share ideas and experiences. We have hosted numerous community educational meetings throughout the Southtowns.
- We also drew public attention and scrutiny to National Fuel’s Natural Gas infrastructure projects, including an unpopular compression station built in the Town of Wales.
- In 2013, we staged a march through the village of East Aurora, as a part of the global frackdown, which drew over 50 people and lots of supportive beeping from local traffic.
Leadership: Sarah Buckley
Established Date: November 2010
Location: Wales, NY
Website or social media:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 716-713-7780
Significant Organizational Events/Activities:
- Wales POWR Meeting
- Free Public Educational Event in Hydro-Fracking
Membership Offered: Yes
This membership profile was created by UB Honors Student Shainna Belocura, Fall 2014.